Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Baby's First Photos

On Monday, August 18, we had our first ultrasound and were able to see the first images of our baby. It was so amazing... what a miracle that there is a little person growing inside of me. Right away, the first image we saw of the baby was with his legs wide open, revealing to us that we are definitely having a boy! I always thought it would be nice to have a boy as the oldest child, so I am happy :) The ultrasonagrapher and doctor both said that he appears to be devoloping normally, his spine, lungs and brain look healthy and his heartbeat is strong. All good news! He weighs about a pound and all his measurements are right where they should be for his age. It was a relief to see him for ourselves and see that he has ten little fingers and ten little toes and a really cute little nose!


In the last couple of weeks, my belly has grown a lot. I am at 22 1/2 weeks now, and although I haven't resorted to wearing maternity pants yet, I only have a few pairs of my old pants that fit me comfortable. I have begun to wear some maternity shirts. I think it's about time for a shopping trip for some clothes that fit! At my appointment last week, I had finally gained some weight and was up 5 pounds total from my starting weight. At this point in a pregnancy, the average is about 10-15 pounds, so I'm still on the low side, which is fine with me as long as the baby is healthy! Next week is my brother-in-law and future sister-in-law's wedding and I have to fit into a bridesmaid dress, so I am hoping that I don't gain too much more over the course of the next week.
Also in the last couple of weeks (not sure of the exact date, but around mid-August) I have started to feel little flutters. Sometimes it is hard for me to tell what I am feeling is the baby or my intestines, but I am definitely feeling something. I was a bit worried since I was 20 weeks along and hadn't felt anything, but with the ultrasound and now feeling flutters, my anxieties have subsided.
I also had my first baby shower yesterday. My office threw me a surprise shower! I was overwhelmed by the generosity of everyone and so excited to get my first baby items. I know Jason and I are blessed by so many people around us, and I am so thankful for everyone who is supporting us during this time. Thank you all!

2 comments:

Monica said...

I'm so happy for you Jen! And so glad that things are going so well for you! :)

-Monica

Jeanette said...

Hooray for health! I'm so happy for you both! We have our ultrasound in a week and I'm so anxious to see him or her.