Thursday, August 07, 2008

Baby Decker




I have not written anything yet about the biggest news of our marriage thus far - we are having a baby! For the sake of my own records, I am going to chronicle the journey we have been on over the last four and a half months. So, here it is, the story of baby Decker thus far:

End of April: I suspect that I might be pregnant and take a home test - it's positive! Jason and I are scared and excited. I immediately call the doctor to schedule an appointment.

May 17-18: We share the news with both sets of our parents, but swear them to secrecy, even from our brothers. We want to see the doctor and make sure everything is okay before we tell other people.

May 22: First doctor's appointment at 8 weeks along. Everything seems normal.

Memorial day weekend: We start sharing the news with family and friends. It was so strange to say the words out loud, "I'm pregnant." It doesn't seem real.

June 19: Second doctor's appointment at 12 weeks. We hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. It is so fast! It is reassuring to know that there is someone growing in there.

Mid July: My baby bump is staring to show. Until now I had been able to hide the fact that I'm pregnant, but now I'm really starting to display a noticable bump. I'm still wearing my regular clothes though! I'm putting off maternity clothes for as long as possible.

July 18: Third doctor's appointment at almost 17 weeks. My weight is exactly the same as it was at the first and second appointment (I will keep that number to myself). Although I have not yet gained a single pound, my weight is being dispersed differently. I've noticed that my arms and legs have got a bit thinner and my belly is growing. The nurse advises that I gain weight before the next appointment. I also record the baby's heartbeat at this appointment. Once again it is fast, with some variations in tempo, which the nurse says indicated proper neurological development. Everything seems to be on track.

August 1: I'm at the pizza place and a stranger in line next to me asks, "Is this your first?" A very bold, and dangerous, comment to make to a woman. I guess I am noticably pregnant to others now.

Today, August 7: I am two days away from 20 weeks - almost half way there! I'm feeling good. Did I mention that I have not been sick at all in the pregnancy? No morning sickness, no nausea, no other major symptoms. There were a few evenings at the beginning when I felt slightly queasy, and I have been more fatigued than usual, but overall I feel good!


I will try to keep this blog updated with the latest pregnancy news.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could give my own opinion with your topic that is not boring for me.